Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Where the Wild Things Will Be!



B recently asked me "Which would you prefer, running a PR race and hating & hurting every minute of it? OR being slower but enjoying yourself throughout the time and distance?

Despite admitting to having my share of competitive/comparison impulses, that's really a no brainer question...

I'm in it for the long run and for feeling good both about and within myself.

YMMV

Things not me in a race:
Running hard enough to make myself puke;
Running with a mad on;
Calling 26.2 a "mary".

-- Running is one of my favorite physical activities, throwing up is at the bottom of the list. And, masochist I may be, but I've never seen the "no pain, no gain" glory in running yourself sick.

--I have run while angry on occasion (like when I've been a ditz and have missed the start of a race and am playing catch-up), and there can be something cathartic to moving at a fast & furious pace to get out those aggressions, but overall I much prefer to work at and get more out of a Zen mindset when on the move.

--it's a marathon. Maybe you are able to toss off the distance any old time you please, but I won't discount it with this particular diminutive.

Lol..if I'm going to be on a first name basis with the marathon dsitance (or more), I think I'd call it "Max". (for it requiring a maximum effort from a runner, and for the so named character in WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE: "Let the Wild Rumpus start!" :)

As always, your mileage may vary.

fyi: the accompanying illustration (homage to Maurice Sendak) was me playing around with Microsoft Paint. Did you notice I included our Slo Sloth? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment