Thursday, May 17, 2012

Heather rambles on:


   I always like to do something “special” to celebrate birthdays. For instance, a couple years back, my goals were to run a 50K and 50M ultra before I turned 50. I did it. This year, I had thought about making a trip to San Francisco California to visit my twin sister and run the very yummy Tampala Headlands 50K. But Coleen is heading off on her own late August vacation (to the Burning Man Festival) and so the scheduling was a bit tight. Then, just a few weeks ago, I had such a great time with Terri P and Joseph N at the Strolling Jim 40M. Terri and I hit it off as friends and soon started talking about getting together again sometime later this summer for a race or run. And, since we both have August birthdays, that morphed into the idea of a celebratory run. Terri ...mentioned she loves camping, so we added that in to!

I pulled rank and suggested the location of Monte Sano State Park, near Huntsville AL, and the 50K Mountain Mist course. It’s my local stomping grounds and a great place for trail running or hiking! It’s also my nemesis….. as I have registered for the Mountain Mist Trail Run the last 3 years, and have only garnered 2 DNFs and one DNS. (The first year, I just missed the last mile 25 cut off time, after being slowed down a bit by slipping and gashing my forehead ; second year, I missed the race start because our car got stuck on the ice and snow driving up to the park and timed out by mile 17; third year I got cold feet, gave up my registration to another wait listed runner and volunteered at an aid station instead). I have run all of the MM course in training—but never the entire distance at one go! Now, this gives me a special chance to do so, and at my own pace and with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment